Monday, July 30, 2007

What're You Looking at, Wiseguy? (A review of The Godfather, PS2)

I really must get some control on my addictive personality: I just completed The Godfather after more than one extremely late night of, 'I'll just get this one mission done and then get to bed'.

My default position is that movie tie-ins are generally pretty poor and are generally a lazy marketing exercise that take advantage of a successful run at the box office.

This game is a refreshing exception to the rule though. I was bought it as a gift and thoroughly enjoyed it, actually. If you enjoyed the Grand Theft Auto series, you're likely to enjoy this. It's a little different in that it's set in a time when guys wore smart suits, hats and sharp shoes to murder and maim people as in the film trilogy (I have this too, but have not yet had time to watch these great movies again), but the gameplay is somewhat similar. There's a pretty huge gaming area, although not quite the vast landscape I'm currently encountering in Just Cause; it can take a while to get from place to place to carry out missions and so forth, although I'd argue that this adds to the realism rather than detracts from it.

A thoroughly entertaining diversion from reality in all, and well worth the few quid that you'll probably pay to buy it online in exchange for a considerable number of hours' entertainment.

"Respect me, respect the family"

No comments: