Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Road Rage?

During my trip driving to the gym on Saturday, I managed to annoy another driver by changing lanes on a notorious roundabout. After the usual flash of headlights, I noticed the car follow my next turn. My slight concern grew when it followed my next move and grew further still when it followed in to the car park at the gym.

I travelled through one lane of parked vehicles, passing available spaces and still the car followed, intimidatingly. Eventually parking my car, the car stopped behind me and blocked my exit. Before I could see the occupier, he was at my window; I turned to wind down the electric window and as I did recognised an old school friend. "Hello mate!".

"You drive like a nutter!", he says. "Sure, like you've never done that before?". "Yeah, all the time. I thought I recognised you so I followed you to say hello. Nice car - you're obviously doing alright for yourself."

At this point a third car pulls up and as he's blocking the road, we exchange goodbyes and he leaves. I realise that I'm shaking with adrenaline in anticipation of a fight, or at least an argument and exchange of 'pleasantries'.

Will I learn to not cut people on that roundabout? Unlikely. And I'm sure I'm far from alone.

No comments: